You may move on to the next step of the Ohio BMV GDL program and obtain your probationary license if you meet the following requirements:
- You are at least 16 years old
- You have had your temporary instruction permit for at least 6 months
- You have the certificate proving that you completed a driver's education course
- You have completed at least 50 hours of supervised driving with 10 hours completed at night
- You have submitted a 50-hour affidavit (Form BMV 5791)
Once you complete the requirements above, you may schedule your driving test by calling the Ohio BMV at 1-877-439-8378 or at WWW.OHIODRIVINGTEST.COM . For the driving test, you must
- Provide your own car
- Bring your driver's education certificate of completion
- Pass the driving and maneuverability portions of the test
Once you pass the BMV road test, you must submit the following to your local Ohio deputy registrar office:
- Your learner’s permit
- Payment for your first-time probationary driver's license fee with cash, check, or money order
- 16 Years Old: $24.25*
- 17 Years Old: $23.00*
- 18 Years Old: $21.75*
- *Prices may change without prior notice
While holding a probationary Ohio driver's license, you may drive:
- Unsupervised, except between 12 a.m. to 6 a.m., if you are below 18 years old. If you drive during these hours, a licensed parent or guardian must accompany you.
- No more than 1 passenger in your vehicle who is not a member of your family if you are within 12 months of having your license.
Full Unrestricted Ohio Driver License
If are below 18 years old, you must follow the Ohio BMV probationary license driving restrictions. Once you turn 18 years old, the driving restrictions will be lifted and your probationary driver's license will convert to a full, unrestricted driver's license.
For inquiries about the state’s driving requirements, call us at 740-654-3748.